Maybe your small business can’t run an ad campaign during the Super Bowl. But you can take lessons from a couple of big brands that did – and in doing so, offended the environmental community, all of Brazil, a huge chunk of the black community and anyone who is sympathetic to the Dali Lama. Continue reading
Tag Archives: marketing message
Leave a comment | tags: bad advertising, bad branding, Groupon commercials, marketing message, message development, offensive advertising, Pepsi Max, Sheila Jackson Lee | posted in Creative work, Say it stronger, The ad business
From 25 years ago, the words of David Kennedy, co-founder of Wieden + Kennedy: “We’re really not in the business of making ads. Our job is to make a connection.” Today you could add websites, Facebook pages, YouTube channels, email and much more to his list of stuff we’re not really in the business of making. It’s always about the connection.
Sometimes you can tell right away if the marketing effort connects. It hits you in the gut.
Other times, you can only tell something about the quality of the design and writing.
And yet well-written, well-designed work often misses the mark. Sometimes terribly. (Just look at two-thirds of Super Bowl commercials, and four-fifths of all websites.) So for each of these samples from my portfolio, I’ve given some context. To view the work, click the images above or the links on the left.
Leave a comment | tags: advertising, Barrett Rossie, copywriter, copywriting, marketing communications, marketing message, Say it stronger, strategic message | posted in Creative work, Say it stronger
- Inbound marketing: a primer
- What if we listened to the nay-sayers?
- The shame of Abercrombie & Fitch
- The trust deficit
- One way to respond when your competitors lie to your customers
- From Seth Godin: How to tell a great story
- The future of education – and maybe the future of marketing
- When raving fans spread your message
- 14Four ad agencies advertising advertising agencies airline branding airline marketing bad advertising bad branding bad marketing Bank of America Barrett J. Rossie Barrett Rossie brand branding brand strategy Burton-Ching community copywriter creative creative strategy creativity culture dishonest advertising email marketing Eminem Foote Cone Girvin great vision statements Hal Riney Hayes Barnard imageworks Inbound marketing interactive advertising interactive marketing John Robideaux lies in advertising Magner-Sanborn marketing marketing communications marketing message marketing strategy Marty Neumeier message development message strategy messaging strategy positioning qualitative research Quisenberry Say it stronger Sean X Cummings Seven2 small-market agencies small business marketing social media marketing Stories storytelling strategic communication strategic messages strategic planning Super Bowl commercial teamwork terrible customer service The Brand Gap The Martin Agency The Richards Group traditional advertising truth in advertising United Breaks Guitars value proposition vision statement vision statements WalMart Wieden Wieden & Kennedy Wieden+Kennedy